Sunday, December 19, 2010

It's a Wrap!


I enjoy Zumba but am not a regular attendee.

Anyone and anything that forms positive community, however, gets my vote.

My own personal family spent Thanksgiving collecting bucks for a family. I'd told my mother and aunt about Allison and Darcy heading up the Zumba's Neighbors Helping Neighbors.

They were really excited and had ideas for what to get. At the Thanksgiving dinner table we collected money. My kids and I went shopping when we got back to Vermont.

We bought coats and shirts and socks and toys for one family and had a really nice time deciding what people might like to receive for the holidays.

Today we wrapped everything with the Zumba folks at Essex Outlets.

The things we'd purchased were nothing compared to the pile of gifts that were added to it all.

Women kept on walking in the door, carrying food, presents, gift wrap, tape, more food, more presents, more gift wrap, more tape.


My son spent the afternoon with us. Seemingly against his will but taking photos, nonetheless.


Allison's daughter organized the groceries and got food packed up. Jessica's daughter packed food for families. My daughter packed food for families. Jessica's sister wrapped presents. Hannah's daughters made pictures. Darcy's daughters made pictures. 
The sense of community was rich and full and thriving.


What we did for other families may not be as powerful as what we did for our own.



Today I worked out at Hammerfit.

I did Zumba.

I did Zumba because it was so fitting to top the day off with more of that same community.



Store front wrapping space provided by Essex Outlets. Flatbread Pizza provided by Rustico's. Community provided by Zumba.

2 comments:

  1. What an inspiring event/post! I can NOT believe how big the family is! (not you, just the kids!) Good job, Coopers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's even bigger than this! Those that teach/lead/host Zumba aroud here are incredible leaders and community-builders!! Thanks, Er!

    ReplyDelete